Pages

Showing posts with label police. Show all posts
Showing posts with label police. Show all posts

Oct 26, 2012

Kim Dotcom says new Mega venture will launch on the first anniversary of police raid

megabox

Controversial entrepreneur Kim Dotcom has tweeted that his next business venture will launch on the first anniversary of the police raid at his New Zealand home. The Department of Justice, however, has issued a warning that this may not be in his best interest.

Kim Dotcom has tweeted that he intends to launch his new Mega business venture on the first anniversary of the police raid at his New Zealand mansion. The tweet says “Announcement: The new Mega will launch exactly 1 year after the raid with a #MansionPressConference & #DoomsdayLaunchButton.”

The raid took place on January 20 2012, so we can expect Mega to launch in just under three months time. There are few firm details concerning Dotcom’s new venture, with the controversial entrepreneur releasing only small amounts of information, and a vaguely explanatory video.

What is clear however, is that it’s as legally dubious (and in this case, morally too, thanks to the system’s close ties with malware) as Megaupload was, and the Department of Justice has already taken a dim view of Dotcom’s future business plans. According to Dotcom’s bail agreement, he would not and could not restart Megaupload or a similar business, and had been completely shut down.

Megabox sounds similar enough to cause problems, and the Department of Justice has issued a statement saying “If defendant Dotcom intentionally misled the court in New Zealand about his intentions and capabilities … [it] might endanger Dotcom’s bail situation or even subject him to additional charges.”

It certainly looks like Dotcom is playing with fire, and could be underestimating the DOJ’s overwhelming desire to see him pay for his “crimes,” thanks to some recent courtroom wins and his sudden rise to Internet stardom.

Going back to the announcement tweet, the Mansion Press Conference hashtag speaks for itself — and will undoubtably be entertaining spectacle, should it all go ahead — but the Doomsday Launch Button may need a little more explaining.

It’s a reference to the FBI’s belief that Dotcom had a “doomsday device” in his possession, which could remotely wipe all the servers with evidence of Megaupload’s existence at the touch of a button. This was one of the reasons why a dawn raid on Dotcom’s home was considered necessary. Of course, he didn’t have anything of the sort, but he’s clearly going to play it up for Megabox’s launch.

Will Megabox really launch in the New Year, and will Dotcom avoid further prosecution if it does? At the moment, we have nothing other than his word that it will. Let’s see if he can live up to it.


Source : digitaltrends[dot]com

Sep 24, 2012

Riot breaks out at Foxconn plant, 40 injured [video]

Foxconn riot, 40 injured

A riot involving thousands of workers and police has caused the temporary shutdown of a Foxconn plan in northern China.

A riot broke out late Sunday night at a Foxconn plant in the northern Chinese city of Taiyuan. The impromptu protest involved more than 2,000 workers and 5,000 police, according to official Chinese government reports. The clash is said to have lasted about four hours, and around 40 people were injured. Three people were in serious condition.

A report from Chinese website TechWeb said that “at least” 10 people had died as a result of the massive brawl. However, a statement from Foxconn obtained by The Next Web said that “no employee deaths related to the incident” had occurred.

The Foxconn plant, which according to an undercover report produces back covers for Apple’s iPhone 5, among many other components for major electronics companies that include Sony, Nokia, and others, has been temporarily shut down while authorities investigate the cause of the upheaval. Foxconn has refused to officially confirm that Apple components are made at the Taiyuan factory.

Reports from Xinhua, China’s state-run news agency, said that the clash began after a fight broke out in a factory dormitory between two workers from different Chinese provinces.

“The cause of this dispute is under investigation by local authorities and we are working closely with them in this process, but it appears not to have been work-related,” said Foxconn in a statement.

The exact cause and other details of the protest are difficult to know, as China retains notoriously tight control of its media and social networks. As Engadget reports, information about the riot posted to Chinese social network Sina Weibo has already been deleted, presumably at the hand of the Chinese government.

Video and photos posted to Sina showed broken windows and other destruction. One highly cited video, posted to Chinese video sharing site YouKu, has been removed.

Foxconn employs about 1 million people in China. The Taiyuan alone has 79,000 workers, according to Foxconn.

Foxconn has repeatedly made headlines for poor working conditions and brutal treatment of its employees. In 2010, at least 13 people committed suicide at Foxconn plants. The company later installed “suicide nets” in employee dormitories in an attempt to prevent further deaths.

“Foxconn is known to have a very authoritarian management style and discipline is very strict,” said Geoffrey Crothall, a spokesman for the Hong Kong-based China Labour Bulletin, in a statement to AFP. “When you have a working environment like Foxconn where workers are treated simply as units of production, essentially robots, not human beings… then sometimes violence is the only way out [and] you see minor disputes escalating into violence.”

Similar incidents of worker outrage broke out in January and June of this year at other Foxconn plants.

Watch a video of the Taiyuan incident below:


Source : digitaltrends[dot]com

Sep 21, 2012

Hostage situation unfolds over Facebook, ends peacefully

hostage siutation pittsburgh

Definitely a tense situation for several hours this morning, police were able to end a hostage situation safely with Facebook in the mix.

Covered in detail on the New York Times earlier today, a hostage standoff in Pittsburgh ended without harm today after police successfully convinced 22-year-old Klein Michael Thaxton to give up peacefully. However, it’s possible that a few Facebook comments also helped encourage the military veteran to release his 58-year-old hostage. Around 8 a.m. this morning, Thaxton entered a large office building and took the elevator to the 16th floor. Thaxton entered the offices of CW Breitsman Associates, a company that handles employee-benefits programs for outside businesses, and took CEO Charles Breitsman hostage. It’s unclear if there was a previous relationship between Thaxton and Breitsman prior to this incident.

facebook updates Michael ThaxtonWhile some reports from people previously inside the building indicated that Thaxton was carrying a rifle, Thaxton was armed with a kitchen knife and hammer when he took Breitsman hostage. Police also thought that Thaxton could have been carrying some sort of explosive in addition to the firearm. 

As Pittsburgh police gathered outside the building to begin negotiating, Thaxton started posting depressing status updates on his Facebook page. In one of the posts, Thaxton stated “‘this life im livin rite now i dnt want anymore. ive lost everything and I aint gettin it back.

During the day, Thaxton attempted to reach out to family members as well. In one of the updates, Thaxton posted “welln pops youll never have to woryy about me again you’ll nevr need to by me anything no need to ever waste ur hard earned money on me. i’ll live n jail you dnt want me around anymore thats kool bye…i love u assata sis.” As the hostage situation become more public, more of Thaxton’s friends and family posted to the page in an attempt to encourage him to give up without harming himself or others. 

According to Boston.com, police wanted to keep the Facebook page open at first in order to keep Thaxton talking and hoped that he would release more specific details about the situation inside the office. Regarding the use of the Facebook page, Pittsburgh police chief Nate Harper stated “It helped because it let the suspect know people cared about him. It was helpful because he was focusing on Facebook rather than harming the victim.”

thaxton arrestAs the hostage situation continued, police noticed that some people were encouraging Thaxton to continue the standoff. At this point, police moved quickly to cut off his access to the page. According to Harper, the people that left those messages could be charged as accessories to the crime.

After the comments started becoming more distracting, Harper also told the local press “We would hope his friends would stop communications on Facebook, let our trained negotiators deal with this matter.”

Around 2 p.m., police negotiators and Thaxton’s mother convinced Thaxton to give up and end the public spectacle that he was watching on television within the offices of CW Breitsman Associates. Thaxton has been charged with aggravated assault, kidnapping and terroristic threats for his actions today. Breitsman was unharmed during the incident and was reunited with his family shortly after the hostage situation came to an end.


Source : digitaltrends[dot]com

Aug 9, 2012

Watch what you tweet: How online troll crackdowns threaten freedom of speech

tweeting arrests court olympics

Abusive comments and racist insults are the stock and trade of the Web, but now British police have begun cracking down and making arrests. What ever happened to freedom of speech, and where do we draw the line?

You may have seen the news about the Twitter troll in the UK who was arrested for sending an abusive message to diver and gold medal hopeful, Tom Daley. After Daley failed to win a medal, a 17-year-old boy sent a malicious tweet which read, “You let your dad down I hope you know that.”

Daley’s father died of cancer last year. The boy responsible for the malicious tweet was issued with a harassment warning. Another arrest was made just a couple of days later because of a homophobic tweet, also aimed at Daley. The 28-year-old man arrested told police that he had left his phone unattended and someone had used his Twitter account as a prank.

Troll crackdown

These are not isolated incidents. The UK government is cracking down on Internet trolls. Back in March, after the footballer Fabrice Muamba collapsed on the pitch during a match, a student was arrested and subsequently jailed for 56 days for posting offensive and racist comments on Twitter. He served half his sentence.

One of the most high-profile cases concerned Paul Chambers, who sent a joke tweet back in January 2010 threatening to blow up an airport because he was annoyed at the cancellation of his flight. He was arrested by anti-terror police, who searched his home and confiscated his laptop, desktop computer, and mobile phone. He was convicted, fined, and even lost his job as a consequence. His first appeal was rejected but he has now finally won a high-court challenge.

How can you go to jail for trolling?

The law being enforced here in the United Kingdom is section 127 of the Communications Act, 2003 which is concerned with electronic messages which are “grossly offensive or of an indecent, obscene or menacing character.”

In effect, sending abusive tweets and other electronic messages is being treated the same way as if the perpetrator had said them in the street, face to face. But it’s not the same.

Naturally, the police are not expected to arrest everyone who makes an offensive comment. The courts are supposed to apply some common sense, but if they can charge someone like Paul Chambers for an obvious joke, then it’s clear they aren’t applying enough of it.

As a UK citizen, I’m seriously concerned about this. I don’t want the police and courts wasting time and money on this kind of stuff. I won’t feel any safer because a malicious tweeter was fined or sent to prison. There are genuinely dangerous criminals out there, let’s focus on them.

Watch what you tweet

It’s not just UK citizens who have to watch what they say on Twitter. You might not be arrested for a tweet in the US, but you can certainly get fired, even if you are a 20-year veteran of CNN. You also need to be careful not to attract the attention of Homeland Security or you may not get into the country. Two British teenagers tweeted a couple of stupid jokes and were flagged as a threat. When they landed in L.A. they were questioned, searched, handcuffed, and kept under armed guard before being sent home 12 hours later.

twitter site arrestsThen there’s the case of Guy Adams and his criticism of NBC’s Olympic coverage, which led to Twitter suspending his account. It has since been unsuspended, but the whole affair was pretty embarrassing for NBC and Twitter. There have actually been several Twitter-related problems with the Olympics as rounded up by The Wall Street Journal.

What about freedom of speech?

Is freedom of speech an all or nothing deal? Is there actually any harm in posting opinions and comments online?

I always liked the famous Voltaire quote: “I do not agree with what you have to say, but I’ll defend to the death your right to say it.”

Censorship seems like a slippery slope. Even if you start off targeting racist abuse or incitement to hatred it can quickly lead to pointless arrests. There is a distinction between expressing an opinion and sending a threatening or abusive message, but where exactly is the line?

If we’re going to empower security forces to catch potential threats, then we also need them to apply some common sense. Don’t arrest and punish people who are clearly not a threat. Maybe the problem is that saying something, no matter how vile or distasteful, should not be considered a crime.

Anonymity and privacy

Some people think the argument comes down to whether you should be allowed to post anonymously. No doubt, people can be empowered by anonymity and will often post things that they wouldn’t say if their identity was clear. However, many people seem to be happy enough to post all kinds of offensive comments without hiding their identity.

facebook avatar social media arrestsShould social media sites or even Internet service providers be compelled to provide details about their users if they post offensive comments or send threatening messages? Don’t they have a duty to protect the privacy of users? It’s a thorny issue.

It was recently established that anything you post publicly on Twitter can be used against you in a court of law. Law enforcement can access your tweets, even deleted tweets, without a warrant.

Grow a thicker skin

Look at any forum or comment section or at social media posts and you’ll find a wealth of offensive nonsense. As a writer, I’ve grown used to offensive comments and even abusive emails. Perhaps I had already developed a thick skin from playing first-person shooters where abusive language and insults fly thick and fast.

There should be a mechanism for flagging offensive behavior and a process for banning the people responsible. Generally speaking, there already is; it just isn’t very effective against determined trolls. There may be a better way to deal with them, but I’m certain it isn’t getting the police involved. How about just turning the other cheek, growing a thicker skin, and rising above it?

What do you think? Post a (friendly) comment or I’ll set the UK police on you.


Source : digitaltrends[dot]com